Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mexican Holidays

Several months ago after noticing how much airline tickets were to fly to Texas for Christmas/New Years, a plan was formed to make a Baja trip instead. Chuck was in as well, so we put together a trip and headed south and crossed the border on Christmas eve. We took the same route for the first leg of the trip as we did in the spring, crossing at Mexicali and heading for San Felipe. First stop was just north of San Felipe. I have to give Michael from the spring trip credit for this, but no baja trip would be complete now without a stop at the fireworks stand.

Grande Boom! Worth every penny.

Chuck and I ended up purchasing a small armory, money well spent.  We headed into San Felipe.
About this point in the trip it became very clear that this was a different sort of trip then the one I made in the spring. In the spring Chuck and I bounced all over the place looking for endemic species and wildlife. While that trip was more of a biology trip then anything else, this was straight vacation. I hadn't taken a single note in my field book, or written down any of the birds I had seen to this point. Very strange for me.

I really like San Felipe, the town looked like it might have been hurting a little from a lack of tourists. Especially considering it was Christmas eve.

It was nice to see the Sea of Cortez again, I missed it.


I decided that when I can finally have a dog, I'm coming down to Mexico and taking one of these guys off the street. I was also fond of the lack of a need for a boat ramp.


There were two more very important stops in San Felipe before we could continue south.
Number 1...

And number 2...I wish I could describe how happy this makes me. No matter how many times I try, I could never make these as well as the little Mexican lady.

We also met up with Al, and Chris in San Felipe. Chris is starting some half year long trip ending in Central America. If only I could skip half a year of work...

We left San Felipe later then intended therefore we decided to head towards Percebu, north of Gonzaga Bay, to crash for the evening. The place was deserted, so we made ourselves at home under a palapa. After a dinner of chips, local salsa, and tequila I crashed hard into my sleeping bag. The weather was still getting extremely cool in the evenings and the wind was moving. However the sunrise in the morning definitely made up for it.
 Merry Christmas to me!

We managed to get out early enough to avoid anyone coming around looking to collect a fee for camping. Headed south again, we found the end of the pavement and aired down the tires since much of the driving from here was on dirt road or two tracks. The road was actually several miles of pavement further then it was when I was here in the spring. They are really trying to get a paved road all the way into Gonzaga Bay.


We stopped briefly in Gonzaga Bay for brunch. I had huevos rancheros with fresh shrimp... holy crap it was good. The wind was still howling though. We had originally intended to stay here a night but with the weather being as it was we decided to keep moving and head inland a bit.

After several miles of dirt road we came to Coco's Corner. Chuck and I stopped here in the spring but Coco was unfortunately in the hospital. He was home this time so we stopped, had a beer, and chatted with him for a while.  The man is a Baja legend and it was great having the chance to listen to him for a while. Chris got a pic of us with Coco, I'll be sure to post it when I get it.

After Coco's we turned inland and drove up Calamajue Canyon, a new route for me. I love finding water in the desert.
The Mineral formation from a spring in the side of the mountain is one of the landmarks this track is known for.

Very cool. Now even though this was a vacation and not a biology trip, I still looked for wildlife. I can't help it. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary, just some killdeer. But definitely wouldn't mind coming back up this canyon again to do more looking around. The two track followed the stream several miles into the canyon. Even after we climbed out of the canyon the road didn't lack for scenery.

Note the plants that look like Joshua Trees, similar but different species.

The further down we went the greener it got. They had obviously gotten some rain. The desert looked like a gold course in places it was absolutely incredible. All the elephant trees that are usually leafless and brown, were leafed out. Everything was green, talk about good timing on our part. The recent rain would probably let things green up and photosynthesize for only a few weeks. It was great.



The light was getting low but you can still notice the green. For reference, this picture was the same road just further north where it obviously didn't rain as much.

Check out the size of this Cardon cactus!

We found a ridge off the road to camp. Still cool and windy but man the veg. here was fantastic.

And more green in the morning! It was green all the way to HWY 1 and almost to our turn off just north of Bahia de los angeles.


Nice fairway huh?

Ok, sorry for the picture dump. But after having traveled, worked and camped in the desert for the last year... this was incredible.

We made our way in Bahia de los angeles to get supplies and gas up before heading to Ensenada Alcatraz.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading and seeing the picts of the trip u took with ur two friends. A trip to Baja like the one u did is definitely something that I hope to do this year. Really enjoyed it and its right up my alley. I have been doing mostly car camping, recently have been doing solo off roading/camping. I have been working on upgrading my truck for those types of adventures and have also as of 2 months ago been researching/testing out kayaks. So it was a real joy to find ur trip...thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck with your travels and be safe.

      Delete
  2. Finally doing my trip to Baja (Dec 15-21 or 22). Planning on driving to Guerrero Negro, about a 10/11 hr drive according to mapquest/google earth. Why Guerrero Negro? no idea...just figured it was the middle of Baja so why not. Any pointers that u can throw my way? Specifically camping location or actual camp sites? I went over The Best of Baja Trip (Moon Travel Guide) as well as ur site and ur friends site of ur baja trip just to get some ideas...but if u have anything specific that u wld recommend, that one hidden spot that i shld check out, camp out, etc it wld b much appreciated. Thx in advance.

    ReplyDelete