Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ouray Ice Park

Collection of pictures from ice climbing in Ouray, CO a few weeks ago.

I really love this town



This canyon right next to town was my playground for two days.

The first day was characterized by relatively warm temps and mixed precip. As a result the ice was soft and tool placement was easy.
 

Trust those front points!

Monkey hang, ya that's the technical term.




Over night, the temps dropped and several inches of snow accumulated. Climbing the next day was totally different. Sweeping snow off the ice with your tools, blind foot placements, and hard brittle ice.



Just kind of guessing how the ice is through the snow.

Tiny ledge for a quick rest.
 


Hopefully I can get back next year and climb some backcountry waterfall ice! On my drive back to flag I got a good winter view of the heart of the San Juan range. I'm planning to to explore remote Needles and Grenadiers this summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment